Saturday 3 August 2013

Musical Musings -1-


Welcome to "Musical Musings," a feature in which I take some favourite song lyrics and share my thoughts about them. It's my hope to introduce some fabulous artists you may never have heard of, and encourage you to to truly appreciate the beautiful songs available! You're plenty welcome to join me in this feature--just nab the picture and link back to this blog. I'd love to see what you have to offer!

To celebrate the first in this series, I'll begin with a favourite song of mine, from one of my favourite bands.


"Hopeless Wanderer" by Mumford & Sons



Lyrics

You heard my voice I came out of the woods by choice
Shelter also gave their shade
And in the dark I have no name
So leave that click in my head
And I will remember the words that you said
Left a clouded mind and a heavy heart
But I was sure we could see a new start

So when your hopes on fire
But you know your desire
Don't hold a glass over the flame
Don't let your heart grow cold
I will call you by name
I will share your road

But hold me fast, Hold me fast
Cuz I'm a hopeless wanderer
And hold me fast, Hold me fast
Cuz I'm a hopeless wanderer

I wrestled long with my youth
We tried so hard to live in the truth
But do not tell me all is fine
When I lose my head, I lose my spine
So leave that click in my head
And I won't remember the words that you said
You brought me out from the cold
Now, how I long, how I long to grow old

So when your hopes are on fire
But you know your desire
Don't hold a glass over the flame
Don't let your heart grow cold
I will call you by name
I will share your road

But hold me fast, Hold me fast
Cuz I'm a hopeless wanderer
And hold me fast, Hold me fast
Cuz I'm a hopeless wanderer
And I will learn, I will learn to love the skies I'm under
And I will learn, I will learn to love the skies I'm under
The skies I'm under
(lyrics from Metrolyrics.com)


My Analysis

One thing I appreciate about Mumford & Sons' songs is that in their dreamy vagueness, they can mean different things for everyone. It's up to us as listeners to find the meaning between the lines, to find the reason why it resonates with us. It forces us to pay attention, to interact with the music we hear.

The reason why I adore this song so much is because it captures so well my spiritual struggle and journey. God calls us by name, promises to share our journey in life. As shown in the first stanza, it's often in our darkest times that we cry out to God, who hears us and beckons us to choose Him.

Yet as the song goes on, problems emerge. Even though God has promised to be with us, we find it difficult to trust Him. We fall back on our old ways for security, our old desires tempting us to wander from this new road we've chosen--the road that leads to God. This brings us to the part where we cry out to God to hold us close to Him, to 'hold me fast', because in our sinful nature humans are hard-wired to wander in the wilderness without the One who knows the road. This can lead us sinners into times where we are so burdened by sin and guilt that we just wish to grow old so we can die and finally find rest.

The chorus, to me, is God's voice, calling us not to hide our love or desire for Him, not to stamp it out. Though we desire Him, our sinful side tugs us away. He calls us to encourage out desire for Him, to not allow our 'heart grow cold' but instead kindle the warmth of being a child of His.

The last few lines to me are, after a final pleading for God to hold us and help us through the sinful urge to wander from Him, a pledge to trust Him and accept where He has placed us in the world. So often we want to run away from Him, from our problems, that we forget He's put us someplace, or is leading us somewhere, for a reason. If we follow Him, we will truly love the 'skies we're under', no matter where we end up.


Hope you enjoyed this, and stay tuned for further "Musical Musings"! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for commenting! I ask only a few things: please do not post anything that disparages others or is offensive. No swearing or taking the Lord's name in vain, especially. Thank you, and be blessed!